I was thinking that this was going to be just another Wednesday at the Dog Park. I'm chattin' away with fellow dog lovers when I turn around to see what kind of mischief my dogs were in. Skooter, who is usually wandering around the perimeter of the park (peeing on bushes), was lying down on his side in the middle of the field. I called his name twice before I realized that something was horribly wrong. I ran over to him and he was just lying there... placid. I picked him up. His whole body was limp. Everything was a blur.
Next thing I know, someone is saying, "I know CPR, is he breathing?" I didn't know. All I knew was that he needed immediate medical attention. His happy, panting face was nothing more than that of a sleeping dog's. His heart was beating... but just barely.
"You go to the ER. I'll follow you with Benson. Just take Skooter, I'll meet you there."
My body went into auto-pilot. I ran as fast as I could to the car. I didn't want to run too fast because Skooter's body was just dangling in my arms. He had no muscle control. He was listless.
Long story short, the ER doctor thinks that he had a severe allergic reaction. She suspects that he swallowed a bee. Instead of breaking out into hives and slowly turning pale, Skooter's body went straight into anaphylactic shock. His body was turning off-- too weak to fight the poison. His body wanted to die. Luckily, we were able to counter the allergic reaction with a ton of meds. He was healthy enough to come back home later that night.
I can't thank my friends at the Dog Park enough. Everyone showed their support and was there for me in my time of need. Joe and I feel so lucky to have such great people around us on a daily basis. Thank-you for everything everyone has done!
Oh look, the world changed
6 months ago