Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, December 05, 2005

Day 1-- Caffeine Free

Okay boys and girls, it's that time of year again!! That's right. I'm giving up caffeine! Since we all know that this phase is always temporary (can/will last as long as 6 months) and always for a purpose (i.e. twitching eye, jittery foot...). The purpose this time? Teeth clenching. I found myself clenching my teeth at the oddest times-- painting my toenails, driving home from work, or watching tv. I never had a problem with teeth (or jaw) clenching before so I was really puzzled when my jaw became mysteriously sore one day. I wasn't chewing gum or excessively eating. I was puzzled.

So, I looked up teeth clenching on the internet and found that people who have a tendency to clench their teeth probably have one of three things going on in their lives:

1. stress (not so much stress in my life right now...)
2. TMJ (no problem there yet)
3. excessive amounts of caffeine (oops)

Since Thanksgiving break, I have been slowly reducing my caffeine intake. It started off with drinking Starbucks "split" coffee drinks (they spilt the drink for you 1/2 caffeinated, 1/2 decaf) on workdays and no coffee on Sunday (luckily Sunday is my day of rest-- if a headache would start, I would just take a nap). But, after two weeks of the "split" regime, I decided that today would be the day that I drink decaf all day long.

The day hasn't been bad. My headache can be easily ignored and I know that sleep is in my near future. Caffeine free existence, here I come.

No comments: