Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Benson's Near Death Experience... Maybe Not as Dramatic as Skooter's...


Benson is Joe's and I's first kid. He's a lovebug and a cuddly guy. He's loyal to a fault. He's our beast... One night before bedtime a few weeks ago, I noticed that Benson just wasn't himself--he's usually the first in bed, hogging up as much space as he can on our king size bed (if you calculate Skooter in too, it's like Joe and I have the space of a full). But this night, he was awake, sitting on the edge of the bed looking very unsettled... Maybe he had gas? I went to sleep.

Right at 11pm, I hear "the noise." If you all have a dog, you know the vomiting noise that all dogs make. I jump out of bed and see that Benson is puking out black vomit. I am immediately alarmed and call Joe into the room. We SpotBot the stain and give Benson some water.

I look up black vomit + dogs on the internet and it basically told me to prepare for immenent death. I freaked out. Joe (my cool, calm, and collective other half) told me that I was over-reacting and that he would watch Benson so I could catch some sleep. Benson continued to throw up 1-2 times every hour. Every time, it was black.

By 4am, I hadn't slept a wink and tried to console Benson (who hadn't slept a wink either). At one point, we had called the Animal ER but all they wanted was money and didn't seem to care about the well-being of our dog. We figured that if he had lasted most of the night already, we would take him to our regular vet first thing in the morning.

Long story short, Joe took Benson to the vet and the vet did an anal exam on the guy. Benson had eaten so much soil in our backyard that it clogged up his bowels. The black vomit was soil. As soon as the "plug" passed, Benson was as good as new.

Moral of the story? Don't forget to feed your dogs a meal or they go into the backyard and eat dirt.

Lesson learned.

1 comment:

DLC said...

Try to feed Violet too, so she doesn't do the same thing.